1/10/2012

Telephone Talking Terms
Below you will find some examples of phrases and sentences that can be used during telephone conversations.

Answering the phone
·  Hello? (informal)
                  · Thank you for calling COOPESA.  Juan speaking. How can I help you?
Introducing yourself
·  Hey George. It's Lisa calling. (informal)
·  Hello, this is Julie Madison calling.
·  Hi, it's Gerry from the dentist's office here.
·  This is she.
·  Speaking.
Asking to speak with someone
·  Is Fred in? (informal)
·  Is Jackson there, please? (informal)
·  Can I talk to your sister? (informal)
·  May I speak with Mr. Green, please?
Connecting someone
·  Just a sec. I'll get him. (informal)
·  Hang on one second. (informal)
·  Please hold and I'll put you through to his office.
·  One moment please.
·  All of our operators are busy at this time. Please hold for the next available person.
Making special requests

·  Could you please repeat that?
·  Would you mind spelling that for me?
·  Could you speak up a little please?
                  ·  Can you speak a little slower please? My English isn't very strong.
·  Can you call me back?
Taking a message for someone
·  Sammy's not in. Who's this? (informal)
·  I'm sorry, Lisa's not here at the moment. Can I ask who's calling?
·  I'm afraid he's stepped out. Would you like to leave a message?
Leaving a message with someone
·  Yes, can you tell him his wife called, please?
·  No, that's okay, I'll call back later.
·  Thanks. Could you ask him to call Brian when he gets in?
·  Do you have a pen handy? I don't think he has my number.
Finishing a conversation

·  Well, I guess I better get going. Talk to you soon.
·  Thanks for calling. Bye for now.
·  I have to let you go now.
·  I have another call coming through. I better hang up now.